There are generally 3 different types of Bark Collars:
1) The first type of Bark Collar makes a noise triggered by a dogs bark...The noise is meant to be irritating to a dog’s ears and it is a sound only the dog can hear. The way this works is the dogs associates the bark with the negative piercing sound.
2) The next type of Bark Collar will release a citronella smell when the dog barks. The smell of citronella is a deterrent for dogs as they generally dislike the smell. The scent is released automatically by the bark collar.
3) The final and most successful from my experience is the Bark Collar that gives the dog a light shock after he or she barks. The shock is light (most models also have a vibrate option) and will not harm the dog but it is unpleasant enough so the Dog does not want it to happen again. These are also the most reliable as well...This is important as for the dog to associate the feeling with barking the shock needs to consistently happen after every bark.
|SportDOG Rechargeable NoBark 10R Bark Control Collar||8lbs & Up||Vibration/Shock||Fully Waterproof||Rechargeable||$$|
|PetSafe Basic Bark Collar, PBC-102||8lbs & Up||Vibration/Shock||Water Resistant||Lithium||$|
|Dogtek Electronic Bark Control Dog Collar||15lbs & Up||Vibration/Shock||Water Resistant||Lthium||$|
|PetSafe Anti-Bark Spray Collar, Citronella||6lbs & Up||Spray||Not Waterproof||6V alkaline||$|
|Dogtra YS500 Water Proof No Bark Collar||Medium/Large||Vibration/Shock||Waterproof||Rechargeable||$$|
Bark Collars are electronic collars that are activated by your dogs bark. These collars are very effective in minimizing certain types of Dog barking. Dogs bark for many different reasons, they can bark for warning of danger, fear or just to get a reaction...The last type of barking is where bark collars are most effective. The reason they are effective against this type of barking is because it is not instinct for the dog to bark for no apparent reason...It is a learned behavior that can easily be stopped in most Dogs. The most effective Bark Collar is the model that gives the dog a mild shock or vibration when they bark. These collars seem to be less likely to be activated by other barking nearby and the shock seems to be the best deterrent that I have noticed in my many years of raising dogs of all breeds.
1. Make Sure The Collar Fits Properly: The Bark Collar needs to be comfortable on your dog...If the collar is uncomfortable it will be a distraction to the Dog and it will not learn as quickly.
2. Buy The Collar Right For Your Dogs Learning Level: All Dogs are different...Some are more stubborn than others. A Dog that generally learns and modifies behavior quickly might react better to the sound or smell release models of Bark Collar.
3. Compare Prices Online: We all know Vets can mark up prices on products...So it is important to research prices and reviews. You will probably have a better chance of getting the Bark Collar that is right for your dog and at a better price.
4. Avoid Bark Collars With Single Settings: The single setting will probably be too strong for your Dog. If this turns out to be the case you may do more harm than good to your Dog.
5. Allow You Dog To Get Used To The Collar: This is very important! For Bark Collars to be successful the Dog must not associate the negative stimulus to the collar...If they do then they will know when the collar is not on. This will make it much more difficult to rid your Dog’s barking problem and the Dog will have to wear the bark collar longer.